Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Portion Size

The thing that shocked me the most when I first began working with the elderly was the portion size of their meals. Maybe it's because I belong to the super-size-me generation, that portion sizes really were that tiny 60 years ago, or maybe when you get old you just eat less. I suppose the baby boomers and the next aging generations will tell us more, but I suspect it is a combination.
 
The elderly folks (that I work with) don't do much, so their caloric needs are much less than that of an active adult. They get up, they shower, they use their walkers to shuffle to the dining room for breakfast, then to the TV room until lunch, then back to the TV until dinner, maybe a game of scrabble, then to bed. A day in the life of a senior at XYZ assisted living revolves around meal time.

Everything is smaller: appetites, plates, bowls, bagels
The entree plates we use at the old folk's home are not a common size. They are in between the sizes of a small hors d'ourve plate and the (present) standard dinner plate. Paper plate size. The perfect size to make a little portion still fill it up and look like an adequate meal, which it is.

Old people can be very particular. The current ones came from an age where food was not in abundance, where they ate everything on their plates, when they couldn't get any ingredient on the planet like we can today.  Many of them get very overwhelmed by the amount of food I sometimes load onto their plates, so overwhelmed that instead of working away it it and eating what they can, they don't touch it. So my ignorance to their preferred portion size results in their skipping of a meal. Respect their portion control. Use a small plate, give them one scrambled egg for breakfast, half a sandwich for lunch, I know it doesn't seem like much, but it's enough.

I've got a list of my "big eaters" and my "small eaters". The big eaters get a whole sandwich for dinner! The smaller or half-portion eaters get, well, a half sandwich. Even the so-called big or "good" eaters eat much less than your average American these days. It becomes very apparent when I feed the staff- their plates are often 1.5 to 2 times larger than the "good eaters." I'm not saying that all non-seniors eat too much, we are much more active in our youth and have higher metabolisms (especially in Boulder, Colorado), and require more calories.

Their little appetites are another reason seniors should be fed nutritious foods; they are only going to eat so much, so there is a much smaller opportunity for them to get all their required nutrients. It is recommended that seniors take a multivitamin, and most do, in addition to their other numerous pills and medications.
...but that's a topic for another day.

The one thing most of my seniors don't skimp on is dessert. I send out the daily menu and receive half orders for the entree, salad and soup, and double orders of dessert! But I like to believe it's because they love my baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment