Monday, April 4, 2011

Scholarship Essay

I recently applied for a partial scholarship to Johnson & Wales University. They offer an amazing culinary nutrition program that would help me move forward in the senior food industry I have found myself. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, I'm not sure that I could afford to go back to school right now anyways, and I have no idea when I'm due to hear back from them.

The program is a four-year bachelor's degree,  the first two years being a culinary education and the second two would be the culinary nutrition part, with classes such as Vegetarian Cuisine, Designing Healthy Desserts, Life Span Nutrition and other great courses.

Since I've already attained my culinary degree, I would get to go directly into the second two years of the program, and probably have many of the science and math classes waved because of my previous college coursework.

Even if I don't get this particular scholarship, I would love to go back to school and get this, or a similar, degree. Going back this fall, a mere five months from now, might not be realistic, but this kind of education would be a great asset to have along side of my culinary education and experience.

I hope I am contacted soon, with the good or bad news! You will hear more...

And now, the essay:


"one-page, typed essay about applicant’s inspiration and passion for food and cooking, goals for the future, and how being awarded this scholarship could help achieve those goals"

I grew up in a home strongly influenced by my pastry chef mother and her out-of-home catering business. I have worked, unofficially, in the food industry since I was 9 years old. At 16, I landed my first “real” job in the industry, and haven't looked back.

After high school, I paused my culinary career to pursue a degree in the field of science at Western Washington University. However, my weekend job cooking at an assisted living facility, and my after school dinner parties, consistently pointed me back to the culinary industry. I enjoyed my studies in chemistry and biology but my passion was cooking. After approximately two years at Western, the Culinary School of the Rockies’ Farm-to-Table program brought me to Boulder, Colorado, where the farm to table movement dominates the restaurant scene.

Working in the kitchen at assisted living facilities and serving the senior parts of our society during the last five years has been a most rewarding experience. I am passionate about creating and serving healthy, nutritious yet delicious foods to seniors, who are some of our more vulnerable members of society. This population will see significant growth in the years to come, as the “Boomers” enter their retirement years and demand higher standards in food service.

My commitment to changing the way we eat extends to the next generation as I recently have been volunteering in the Boulder Valley School District, where I help fight to get healthy and local foods into the cafeteria, and at home. I volunteer in cooking classes to teach the students how to prepare wholesome meals, as well as in lunch-hour tastings to encourage them to try foods that may be unfamiliar. I believe strongly that we must change the diets of our youth to see any lasting changes in our society.

Looking forward, I see myself leading large organizations within the senior care industry or the school system, where I can help shape and lead the changes I am passionate about in the senior and junior members of our population. I have been lucky to have had strong role models to have shaped my self confidence in leadership within this specialized culinary niche. I could not speak more highly of any than my mother who shaped my commitment to integrity, work ethic and the knowledge that I can do whatever I set my mind to.

This scholarship will allow me to finish my bachelors degree uniting my two favorite subjects, cooking and science. The Johnson & Wales Culinary Nutrition degree is what I've been searching for; it will allow me to combine my love of cooking and my desire to adapt recipes to individual nutritional needs and to create healthy foods for all.

This culinary nutrition degree would help me achieve a position in which I would have greater ability to make changes in the way our society, old and young, eat, prepare and think about food. The program will help me gain the additional knowledge, skill set and confidence required to plan and execute preparation of well-crafted foods with unique dietary and nutritional requirements in mind.

Your enabling of my educational objectives will be an investment in our existing and future generations.  Thank you for this great opportunity.

Sincerely.

Sydney Davidson

No comments:

Post a Comment