Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Apple Crisp

 
 My extremely sweet boyfriend bought these cute little foil baking cups shaped like hearts for me at Target (as well as a cute pair of knee socks)  so I could bake up little treats for my residents (and stylishly keep my feet warm) for Valentines' Day.

I choose to make apple crisps, one- because we had lots of apples to use,  two- because the other chef called cupcakes for the next day, and I didn't want to step on her toes, and three- I've been baking a lot of crisps at my new (other) job at a local bakery. And because I know everyone loves a fruit crisp.

I just kind of made-up the apple part, because you can do that, and used a topping recipe from an older version of the Joy of Cooking. And I remembered to take pictures all along the way with my iPhone- so they are not of great quality, and now my phone is all crusty. Totally worth it!

Apple Crisp

Ingredients:

9 apples
zest and juice of 2 small lemons
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar

2 cups brown sugar
2 cups oats
1 cup flour
2 sticks (1 cup) butter, cold and cut into small peices
cinnamon and other warm spices, if desired

Preperation:
 Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and ready you're baking vessel- I used individual foil heart cups, but you can do a giant one in a baking dish of some sort, or individual cermaic bowls, or whatever you like. Just grease the heck out of anything you are going to have to wash, and line a baking sheet with parchment or foil to catch the juices that bubble over and make your clean-up eaiser.
 Peel, core and slice your apples and cut into little chucks that will cook quickly and be easy to eat.
 
After you have the size you like, toss with lemon juice and zest, first cinnamon, nutmeg and the 1/2 cup brown sugar. 


Let the apples marinade in the juices while you prepare the topping.

I used my food processor, but you can easily do this by hand:
Combine the 2 cups brown sugar, oats, flour and any spices you are using, and pulse quickly in a processor to mix, but not to chop the oats smaller.

Add your little butter pieces, and pulse to combine, once it looks like a crumbly texture- stop.



Divide your apple mixture evenly amongst you little foil cups or in your prepared baking dish, dividing the juices evenly as well.


Evenly distribute the crisp topping over each serving, packing down to keep in place.


Bake in your preheated oven for about 20 minutes, or until topping looks golden brown, crispy and juices are bubbling out.

Cool before topping with whipped cream (highly recommended) and serving.

Happy Valentines' Day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment