Saturday, February 12, 2011

Fig Cookies

When I went to my grandparent's house as a young kid, I remember them often having fig newtons and school boy cookies, and those became things I associated with my grandparents, and therefore, old people. So when I found figs this morning at work (in the dried fruit box, of course), I decided to attempt to make fig cookies, be they newtons or not

I used my nifty iPhone to google some recipes real quick, and settled on the third one that came up- a simple drop cookie, rather than the first two that looked more complicated and time consuming, though maybe more attractive and tastier (though I don't know how). I guess we'll find out next time.

The Fig Drop Cookies were extremely easy to make, and absolutely delicious! The figs fell apart during the short cooking time, and the seeds ended up dispersed throughout the cookie dough, so the amazingly soft finished product had a little fig crackle in every bite.

Fig Drop Cookies
(Original Recipe)

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup dried figs, chopped into little pieces
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 cup butter, at room temperature
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt

Preparation:
  1. In a small sauce pan, heat the water and figs to reconstitute and break down fruit. (Cool before adding to cookies.)
  2. Cream butter and sugars in an electric mixer's bowl with the paddle attachment. Blend in egg and vanilla.
  3. Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl. Gradually add to creamed mixture until incorporated.
  4. Mix in figs.
  5. Drop by rounded tablespoons onto a prepared cookie sheet, and bake at 375 degrees F for about 10 minutes.
  6. Cool on wire racks, store in air-tight containers.
Makes about 30  1-1/2 inch cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment